Thursday, May 7, 2009

Why would Jesus want me to go to Confession?

Many of my brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ ask me if I have a personal relationship my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Because of the sacraments of the Eucharist and Confession, I can say "No". I do not have a personal relationship with Jesus, I have an intimate relationship with Him!

Many people ask why I need to go to confession. Putting all human, psychological or any other reason aside, the real reason to go to confession is to have a relationship with Jesus. And what a relationship Jesus offers! Many of us do not like confession because we reflect on our sins by which we have offended Him. However, we must keep in mind what is the goal; reconciliation and peace. I remember when I was young, if I did something wrong to somebody, I avoided that person like a plague. I did not want to be around them because I knew my guilt. In a certain sense, I put myself outside of a relationship with that person. Then I would finally come to my senses and ask for forgiveness and we would be reconciled.

It always feels good to be in relationship again. We do the same thing to God. We realize our offenses and ask Him for forgiveness. When we go to our friends to ask forgiveness, we do not just go over to their house and ask them interiorly, without saying a word and ask for forgiveness that way. We have to say it out loud. Saying your sorry in silence is nice, but it is not enough. If we do not, we can only come so close. Our relationship can only go so far without knowing for certain He truly has forgiven us. The question in the back of our minds will always be there and we cannot run away from it.

Maybe you think a personal relationship is good enough. But if you think having a personal relationship is great, think of the intimacy with Jesus that you are missing! But why go to a Catholic Priest? Because Jesus gave the authority to forgive sins to the Apostles. In Scripture, you can read MT. 16:18&19, MT 18:18, Jn. 20:22&23, 2Cor. 5:18 and James 5:14&15 for those who like scripture. Nobody else has this authority. Nobody else dare to claim that authority. Anybody who claims such authority and does not have it, God help them! Indeed, there would be a very special place for them reserved! For this reason, the Church takes this very seriously. It would not be worth jeopardizing ones eternity for what some claim to be a manipulation of people.

When we go to a priest, we are ensured that the Holy Spirit is working through him. Therefore it is really God speaking to us in the sacrament. Find this hard to believe? God made sure that the apostles could write the words He wanted on the sacred scrolls; why can't God have the power to ensure we get the right message in confession? Can the sins of a priest conquer the grace He wants to give us? Certainly not. He has overcome all sins. Thanks be to God! (Rom. 7:25) It is true! Confession works. To top all this off, when He frees us form our sins, through the power of His cross, the Eternal Judge makes Himself the Eternal Bridegroom! The One we would need to fear becomes the one we adore with all our heart. Hence, love drives out fear. (1 Jn. 4:18) But if we never give our sins to Him, how could we ever discover this great truth. Come, discover the love of God, discover the joy of Confession!

No comments: