Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Hypocrisy of Atheism and Non-Believers

So may times I have come across somebody of another faith and they challenge me with, "If you Catholics lived what you tell me what you believe, then I will convert". Or I will get, "If God is really love, why is there so much evil in the world?!" In summary "It's all God's fault that there is evil in the world" As a Catholic, I understand where these people are coming from; but at the same token, how is it that one can blame God for the evil in the world when that person is an agent of evil in the world themselves. How can you expect a religion to be perfect when you yourself are not perfect. Just because we believe in Jesus Christ and come short of living what He preached does not mean that we are being hypocrites, it just means that we struggle. Struggling means that we are being more real about our faith as opposed to when we just give up, or blame somebody else for the evil we see. You do not have to be perfect to be a believer or to admit you have faith, you just have to try to "trudge [your] way to happy destiny" (Big Book of AA). Keep it real.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

why focus on something u nor anyone else can prove. live life to the best of ur ability. U only get one that we know of. And if i wanted to choose a faith from a old book of fairy tales, i'd choose greek mythology cause at least they have a positive outlook on life.

Fr. Timothy Barr said...

Actually, Greek mythology has a bad outlook on life. You must serve or the gods wil get back at you. Rather, Jesus offers etenal life, how can things get more positive than that? Is mercy a bad thing? Dealing woith the proofs of the existence of God is another thing. It is quite logical. It is illogical to be atheist. In certain aspects, I consider myself a realist. I would not want to believe in fairy tales. Buut then atgain, If I was atheist and had such negative thoughts, maybe it would be the only thing I would have. God is not what you think He is.

Anonymous said...

Keep posting stuff like this i really like it